William Smithett was initiated into St James’s Union Lodge No 180 on 12 December 1865, becoming Worshipful Master in 1873. He Joined the Lodge of Felicity No 58 in October 1870, being nominated by them as a Grand Steward in 1875, joining Grand Stewards’ Lodge and becoming Worshipful Master in 1877. He was Treasurer of the Lodge of Felicity from 1883 to 1893. He also published the first history of the Lodge of Felicity on its sesquicentenary.
He was exalted into his mother lodge’s Chapter the St James’s Union Chapter No 180 in May 1867, becoming Z in 1877 before becoming the Founding J of this Chapter and becoming Z in 1879.
He was a Vice Patron of the Girls’ School and the RMBI and a Vice President of the Boys’ School.