Frederick William Smith was one of the band of brothers who founded the Chapter including fellow Founder James Ford who originally hailed from the Lodge of Union No 166, who joined The Lodge of Felicity at Arthur Marten’s installation on 18 May 1875 to support it at a time of need. 

He became a Grand Steward in1883 and Master of the Lodge of Felicity in 1885. He also joined Grand Stewards Lodge.

He was an Accountant.